Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Great Day Care Search

We started the hunt for child care for Iggy a few months ago. I knew this wasn’t something you could put off until the last minute, but I really thought six months in advance was plenty of time to find a place for the baby. Boy was I wrong! After a very discouraging day of visiting area day care centers, I realized we should have gotten on a waiting list way before we were even pregnant! Seriously, how is it possible to have a waiting list for infant care that is two years? When I asked that of the director, the answer was a very scientific, “It’s a complicated process.” What? How complicated can it be? I was pretty convinced that we were going to have to leave Iggy with some guy in a van and just hope we got the baby back safely each day, when we finally found one that we liked quite a bit and could probably get us admitted in January.

The day care we liked called me last week and they are adding an additional infant room, so they can actually get us in for December, for sure. Woo hoo! We just need to complete the official registration forms and send in our deposit and we’re set. Whew! Sorry guy in the van, we won’t need your child care services after all!


The count: 37 weeks, 4 days. This week Iggy is considered full-term with fully developed lungs, so if he/she decided to make an appearance, the doctors probably wouldn’t try and stop it. Iggy should weigh around 6 pounds and measure about 19 inches. We had a sonogram the other week to check position and we could see that the baby has hair. I’m still feeling great, but my ankles have started to swell a little bit. All in all, I made it this far without them puffing out, so I really can’t complain. I’ve been having some mild contractions, but there is no rhyme or reason, so I’m chalking them up to Braxton Hicks. It’s hard to believe that Iggy will be here in just a few weeks – we’re so excited!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, if the child care provider falls through, I could totally see Robert getting hooked on daytime soaps and playing poker for coupons with the other stay-at-home 'moms'. And I could see him feeding Iggy chili.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

We are so incredibly excited for you guys! Day care is always a problem. Once you find one, stick with it! We'll be going through the same thing trying to find a new provider next year, since Cooper can only stay where he is until he's 3. Not looking forward to it. We had a hard time finding infant care as well. Best of luck with everything if we don't talk to you before the arrival! We'll be thinking about you!!!

Jill